A city girl learning to live off grid on a mountain in Montana with a country boy makes for an endless supply of funny stories, even if they weren't funny at the time. Lots of laughs and tears and love along the way. Enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Puppy Doody

 Yesterday was errand day for me so Butch had Puppy Duty (doody ๐Ÿ˜†) all day. I wasn't feeling exactly confident about his puppy watching skills but the errands must needs be run and I couldn't take the little pooper with me. 


So, after a list of dire warnings and vehement instructions, which were delivered via pointing finger, complete with colorful and descriptive possible disaster scenarios, including, but not limited to, said ankle biter getting caught under the woodpile (again) and the horrific and painful death that would ensue, I left the house knowing that Butch didn't hear a single word I said. Spouting a half-verbalized parting shot as I walked out the door -- "If ANYTHING happens to that little rug rat ..." , I received in return a wave of the hand, an eye roll worthy of any 15 year old, and a "Just go already. Geez. We've got this." 


I drove away with many misgivings and concerns but I had no choice but to go and leave the little scamp to his fate.


*Hours and hours and hours later* 


I drove up to the house where four big dogs ran out to greet me as usual.


 No white puppy. 


Butch emerged from the house, surreptitiously looking around, almost as if he's lost something. 


Still no white puppy. Hmmm... Alarm bells going off.


I park the car, fend off four big dogs greeting me home and... oh look, here comes Cody the white puppy (who looks just like a tasty little white rabbit to any passing predator), out of the woods and off the hill behind the house. By himself. Looking deliriously happy and covered in mud, and a mouth full of what looks curiously like fresh bear poo.


Cody isn't yet three months old. Did I mention that? 


There are thousands of acres of state land back there. Did I fail to mention that also?


Here came Butch, smiling weakly, sees the puppy, a flash of pure relief crosses his face, which he then tries to hide looking nonchalant as if he knew where the pupper was all the time.


Uh huh.


"Heh. Heh. He disappears fast doesn't he? Heh, heh."


"I TOLD you that before I left. He's an escape artist extraordinaire."


Butch grinning brightly, "He always comes back though!"


Wow. "Always? So this happened more than once?"


Butch laughs (nervously?) and says, "All day! But he always came back! (phew)"


"LUCKY. FOR. YOU." 


I think Butch's puppy sitting days are numbered.  Sheeesh. ๐Ÿคจ




No comments:

Post a Comment