A city girl learning to live off grid on a mountain in Montana with a country boy makes for an endless supply of funny stories, even if they weren't funny at the time. Lots of laughs and tears and love along the way. Enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sunday, July 4, 2021

The Initiation

I played a trick on my little sister a few years ago that still makes me laugh out loud. I crack myself up.


We had just moved to our Montana mountaintop home the year before and my younger sister Lauri came for a visit. First, let me paint a picture for you of my sister. She is nothing like me. She's a real city girl. She likes expensive clothes, nice cars and take out food. She's a successful, professional, business woman, who works for a big pharmaceutical company. She looks like a Barbie doll - blonde, about 5'6", a size two and boobs big enough that always make me wonder how she doesn't just topple right over. She may have been 49 at the time but she looked 30. And even if she's not my favorite sister (oh please, don't even pretend you don't have favorites), she's really funny. 


Now my sister may have been a city girl but she was a real trooper. She handled all of the inconveniences of our off grid life very well. But still... she was such a fish out of water here. When we took walks, she insisted on carrying my big shotgun and spent the entire walk looking behind us for the bear or mountain lion that she KNEW was coming to eat us. And she wouldn't go anywhere by herself. She thought our mountaintop place was beautiful but it was really scary to her. She couldn't believe that I wasn't afraid to live here.


While Lauri was visiting, our bestest mountain neighbors Tim and Sue invited us all down to their little cabin in the woods for a get together, which we gladly accepted. 


As we drove down the mountain, on the curvy road in the trees, husband Butch driving, Lauri in the front seat as the Guest of Honor gabbing away, me in the backseat being ignored and all, I decided to play a trick on her making her think she was about to have to do something horrible. I was hoping Butch would just go along with it. 


Lauri had never met Tim and Sue and had not been to any of our mountain friend's homes. I said, out of the blue as we headed down there, "Lauri, ok I need to tell you something. The first time you go to a mountain person's house, there is a type of um, initiation and there are things you have to do. It's just part of mountain life. Just do it ok? It's expected. It wont hurt... that much and..."


Lauri, who even though tiny, has a HUGE mouth on her, looks a little alarmed and then her mouth starts running, "NO. No way. Unh uh!"


I continue on, "Really, it doesn't taste that bad. It won't last long. I only gagged a little! I did it. You can too!"


Lauri's mouth is still going a mile a minute, "Nuh uh bulll dookey I'm not doing it you can't make me let me out..."


I'm trying so hard not to laugh while Butch keeps looking at me in the rearview mirror, nodding his head seriously like what I'm saying is true. I went on, "Look you need to do this ok? If you don't, it will hurt our relationship with the mountain people. It's not that bad! Really. Just hold your nose and look brave. It's not THAT horrible. These mountain people are scary. We can't show any fear here or we're done, ok?!"


Lauri has her hand on the door trying to open it as we were going down the road, "I'm getting out now I'll walk home I'm not doing it no no no no NO!"


I finally started laughing and decided I'd better tell her the truth before she jumped out the window. I told her I was just kidding, there wasn't any initiation, that I made it all up. She looked at me with squinty eyes to see if I was telling her the truth and she couldn't tell. She thought it was just a plot to get her down there. To her credit, she stayed in the car and then met Tim and Sue with obvious trepidation. She looked like she was prepared to take off running at any moment. 


When I told our friends at the dinner table what I did to Lauri on the way to their house, we all had a hearty laugh together then Tim slowly stands up, grabs a bowl off the counter and starts to walk toward her with this scary look on his face. Lauri bolted out the door and we never saw her again.


Ha ha! Just kidding. Tim got her to come back in, eventually. It was dark outside. I guess she was more afraid of the bears than she was of a possible Initiation. ๐Ÿคฃ Poor thing! 


So now you know - all work and no play makes me ornery, so visitors will be treated as playthings for my personal amusement. I apologize ahead of time. 


Next: The Sasquatch Head


(๐Ÿ‘‡That's not the Sasquatch below. That's Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top with us. Although he kinda looks like a Sasquatch, doesn't he? ;) )



1 comment:

  1. First of all, YOU are my fav sister so that stung a bit. I don't have FB and have never been on your blog until now. I am so proud of you! It is so exciting you are finally published! I am so bragging about you to my friends and colleagues. JK. Now. I would like to clear up a few things regarding your "Initiation" post. 1.I have had company cars for years. I bought a used Mercedes for my 50th and sold it b/c it cost to much to maintain. (And I am raising a grandson who is huge and the carseat didn't fit well in the GLK 350). 2. I am def a city girl but I love to cook. Check out my IG pics. 3. Take-Out is OK but I prefer fine dining. 3. I'm pretty sure you exaggerated the whole Tim and Sue thing but I do wish you had a 30/06 in case a grizzly bear showed up. That 22 would have just pissed a bear off. 4. My mouth is not huge. I just like to talk. It fits my face just fine.

    I am flattered that you put me in your blog. You are actually the funniest person I know. I love you so much! We will come visit soon!

    Currently I am a MiMi to a 3 1/2 year old grandson we have had since birth and working from home for my husbands commercial concrete company, in my leisure wear (PJ's) and ready to take a vacation! Just had to add a bit about me to clear up any misconceptions. But I do really need a mani/pedi, massage, interactions with intelligent adults, new shoes, awesome fitting jeans, an amazing filet and a cold beer and a bra that actually fits. LOL!!! Love you Lish!

    ReplyDelete